The Shipping Sector – The Implementing Regulations of the Omnibus Law on Job Creation
On 2 February 2021, the Indonesian Government issued Government Regulation No. 31 of 2021 on the Operation of the Shipping Sector (“GR 31/2021”) as the implementing regulation of Law No. 17 of 2008 on Shipping (as amended - the “Shipping Law”) which was recently amended by Law No. 11 of 2020 on Job Creation (the “Omnibus Law”).
GR 31/2021 revokes articles of the following government regulations:
- Government Regulation No. 20 of 2010 on Marine Transportation (as amended);
- Government Regulation No. 61 of 2009 on Port Affairs (as amended);
- Government Regulation No. 51 of 2002 on Shipping;
- Government Regulation No. 5 of 2010 on Navigation.
If reference is made to any of the articles that have been revoked in the above, the reference must be adapted to GR 31/2021. The implementing regulations of the above amended government regulations remain valid as long as they do not conflict with GR 31/2021.
This advisory highlights the key provisions of GR 39/2021, which covers:
- guidance in the shipping sector;
- marine transportation;
- port affairs;
- certificates, documents and ship notes (warta kapal)
- ship security management; and